Spring 2011 marked the first tentative meetings of the Iowa City Climate Advocates at Trinity Episcopal Church in Iowa City. A group of individuals from widely different social, economic, faith, and political backgrounds came together bound by a common concern for the environment, with a desire to engage in effective and meaningful action to protect it.
We hold these convictions: that it is our collective responsibility to protect this world on which all life depends, and that we are bound by human compassion to work towards social justice for those most greatly affected by our failure to do so. As our group continues to grow, please come and add your voice to ours. It is time to get on with this difficult and most important of work.
What do we do?
- We meet once a month, the second Saturday of the month, from 11 am to 1 pm. Meetings are announced in advance. They are usually at the Prairie Hill Co-housing Common House (140 Prairie Hill Lane, Iowa City).
- As the Iowa City chapter of Citizens’ Climate Lobby (CCL), we advocate for legislation that puts a revenue-neutral fee on carbon. This entails, among other things, writing letters to and meeting with our Members of Congress and writing letters to the editor and op-ed pieces for local newspapers. Members of our group often attend the yearly CCL conference and lobbying in Washington D.C.
- We are non-partisan. People from all parts of the political spectrum are welcome.
- As citizens of Johnson and Linn Counties, we work with other environmental groups, with the City of Iowa City, and with county leadership to help move us toward a sustainable, carbon-neutral community, and to raise awareness about climate change.
- We have a Speakers Bureau to provide information to the community about climate change, carbon fee and dividend legislation (the revenue-neutral carbon fee promoted by CCL), and related topics.
How do you join?
- Just show up at a meeting! Or sign up to be on our local mailing list by e-mailing our group leader. There are no dues.
- You can also join the national Citizens’ Climate Lobby Organization. Just go to https://citizensclimatelobby.org and click on the red button (no dues!).